Sunday, September 17, 2006

Kakekotoba: Playing with Words

On March 2006, I learned about kakekotoba. This is a kind of word game in Japanese. For example, shika ga shikareru. There is a same word in those sentence, shika. But, there is no connection between shika and shikareru. Shika means a deer. Shikareru means angry in passive form. This sentence will be strange in Indonesian translation. We can't use this kind of sentence in daily conversation. This is used just for fun. Otherwise it can be a way to introduce some word which have a same pronunciation but different meaning.

Then kitte o kitte. Kitte o means a stamp. The second kitte is come from kiru (cut) which connected with te form to be command word. So kitte o kitte means cut a stamp!.
The other one is kore ga ashika no ashi ka. This sentence means is this a lion sea's foot?. The first ashika means sea lion. But ashi ka is combination between ashi (foot) and ka form as a question word.

Japanese is a little bit difficult for me. But I don't know why I'm very interested when my friend explain about this kakekotoba. I said to my friend that if I'm a student at this time, I will take this topic for my paper research. Unfortunately it was a past already.

No comments: